Monday, September 29, 2008

Natalie Adler: The Woman Who Turns Blind 3 Days a Week

Open and shut case: Natalie Adler tries to cram as much as she can into her open eye days, which are marked in her diary months ahead

Melbourne: An Australian woman becomes blind for three days a week when her eyes clamp shut voluntarily for the period and she can't open them, a baffling medical condition according to experts.

Natalie Adler (21), who doctors believe may be the only person in the world with this condition, has been living with the extraordinary visual impairment for four years.

"My eyes are closed for three days and then open for three days," said Adler. "I go to bed and I can open my eyes, and then when I wake up the next day I can't," she explained adding, "Nobody knows why."

During 'closed eye days' her eyes are completely shut, except for a small slit in her left eye. On 'open eye days' they function normally, although the left eyelid sometimes droops. Adler tries to cram as much as she can into those good days, which are marked in her diary months ahead. "On my 18th birthday my eyes were closed but on my 21st they were open, so I had a party," she said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

All the pictures and material on this web-site are assumed to be taken from public domain. The copyright (if any) of these pictures and articles belongs to their orginal publisher / photographer / copyright holder as the case may be. we claim no ownership to them

If anybody has reservations / objection on the use of these material/images or find any copy-righted material on this site, then please e-mail us at aparna.email.me@gmail.com giving detail of copy right etc. In case, the objections is found to be appropriate, the offensive material / pictures will be removed from this site immediately.

Any links provided or advertisements displayed on our site are for informational purposes only and we are not responsible for any damages or consequences. However, if you find any unsuitable link / advertisement, then please e-mail us giving detail of such links etc.